Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 April 2024

The Caravan Club - A Guest Post

 


I was just about to give up on this mode of transport and move on to buses when just like buses two guest posts came along at once.

First off here's Rol a man who never shirks a challenge


I don’t really see the appeal of caravans. They seem to exist just to slow down the

traffic on narrow country lanes. Also, I used to write radio ads for a large caravan

company, and the guy who ran it was a bit of a knob. Put me off them for life.

I like caravan songs though, so I was disappointed when CC called time on his

Caravan Club after just a couple of weeks. Here’s an extension then… like one of

those big awnings people stick on the front of their caravans to make them feel extra

smug.


We’ll start with Luke Haines, who seems like exactly the sort of contrary curmudgeon

who would enjoy snarling up the traffic on a Bank Holiday Monday, though I’m sure

he restricts his holidays to the south of England as he doesn’t like going further than

Watford Gap.

Luke Haines - Caravan Man


Haines will probably bump into Essex lad Darren Hayman on many a south coast

caravan site. They probably have plots reserved, right next to each other, and just

across from the shower block. Hayman used to be the main man in Hefner, but I

guess he got sick of the rest of the band eating all his Pringles, so now he caravans

on his own.

Darren Hayman - Caravan Song


Folk star Mick Softley is another Essex lad, though sadly he won’t be joining Luke

and Darren on their holidays, as he went off to the great caravan park in the sky

back in 2017.

Mick Softley – Caravan

Mick Softly - Caravan


The Teens were Germany’s answer to the Bay City Rollers, apparently. I bet they got

up extra early to make sure they reserved the best plot on the site.

The Teens - Gypsy Caravan


Finally, a wonderful mash-up I came across many years ago somewhere on the

blogosphere, mixing Caravan of Love by The Housemartins (as previously featured

here) with This Charming Man by The Smiths. Children of the 80s: this is your

heaven!

10,000 Spoons - This Charming Caravan


CC writes:

Thanks Rol - that awning certainly did the job. Five songs that are new to me and all excellent in their own way (the last one being somewhat unique!)

Another guest will be joining the Caravan Club next Transport Tuesday

7 comments:

  1. Not a fan of caravans, Rol? You would have seen the light if you saw the sheer beauty of a folding caravan.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226061141303?itmmeta=01HTEVQNDJ189PDQT7QNJTFR8D&hash=item34a24b4537:g:Ei8AAOSw47xmAGF1
    And cool as that is, our one was even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a windy Yorkshire campsite, that would be blown away in about 5 minutes.

      Delete
  2. I met that Darren Hayman once. Nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiral Carpets Caravan still absent from this journey (unless I've missed it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a Hefner/Darren Hayman devotee. One of my claims to fame (the only one tbf) is that my bro and sis-in-law once went on the same beginners Spanish learning course as Darren and they plucked up courage to ask him to sign and dedicate one of his ep/albs which they gave to me as a Christmas present

    ReplyDelete