Search This Blog

Saturday 12 August 2023

Saturday Shuffle 17

 


I used some of my birthday money during the week to pick up a vinyl copy of 2022's Cruel Country by Wilco. It is a much welcomed return to their Americana roots. Today's first shuffle Via Chicago  comes from the band's third album 1999's Summerteeth  which remains my favourite album by them. Indeed, it was included in my 50 Americana Albums to Hear Before Your Die The three songs I selected for that post remain my three favourite songs by the band. Via Chicago is one of them.

Newt up is a song from Testifying an album by The Country Soul Review.  It features a bunch of artists who effortlessly blur the boundaries between Southern Soul and Country. One such artists is the late Donnie Fritts  who as well as being a singer in his own right was Kris Kristofferson's drummer for 50 years. He also wrote Breakfast in Bed which was a massive hit for Dusty Springfield.. A man then who clearly knew when there was Sumpin' Funky Going On.

The Blasters may not have been funky but they sure lived up to their name. Their concert on the Renfrew Ferry remains one of my ten best gigs of all time. Trouble Bound is the first song on Disc 2 from the anthology Testament - The Complete Slash Records which is a must have.

The challenge for next week is to shuffle up three at least half as good as this

Wilco - Via Chicago

Donnie Friits - Sumpin' Funky Going On

The Blasters - Trouble Bound


4 comments:

  1. Been on the fence about picking up Cruel Country since it came out but this has put me over the top. Thanks for the nudge. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you will be disappointed Brian

      Delete
  2. I remember listening to a Billy Bragg interview in which he recounted his period with and eventual fall out with Wilco but still had the good grace to laud Via Chicago. It is a lovely track

    ReplyDelete