Search This Blog

Monday 21 August 2023

Mari Wilson - The Platinum Collection

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #69 -Mari Wilson - The Platinum Collection

I picked this up recently in the Wigtown Community Shop for 50p.

Twenty tracks by Neasden's Queen of Soul Mari Wilson. Pleasant enough stuff but calling it The Platinum Collection is perhaps a tad ambitious.

I have a copy of her  1983 album Showpeople  on vinyl which was also a charity acquisition from 2013I saw her at Strathclyde Uni around the time of Showpeople and she put on a terrific show

All 12 of the songs from Showpeople appear on The Platinum Collection and I'm not sure that I need the other 8 as they are nothing startling with many sounding a bit samey.

At the moment I'm not sure whether it is a keeper or not. The only saving grace is having songs like the three below available in a CD format. I may just record the CD and send it back to save space  and give Showpeople an airing from time to time. Every 10  or 20 years perhaps!

Mari Wilson - Just What I Always Wanted

Mari Wilson - Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps

Mari Wilson - Cry Me a River (Tu No Me Lores)



5 comments:

  1. The three below? Is one the hidden track you used to get at the end of the CD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a small test to see who is paying attention

      Delete
  2. "and she put on a terrific show"
    I too saw her put on a terrific show, before (or after, I can't recall) The Smiths, who I really wanted to see but they were insipid in comparison to Ms Wilson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I was a kid all I had was a 12" of Just What I Always Wanted. That was her only song that had an impact over here... and a minor one at that. A few years ago I found Showstoppers used for a couple of bucks and thought it was pretty good. Then, last summer when I was in Chicago, I came across a whole stack of her stuff at a shop and bought the whole lot. It was her first six singles and a couple of Compact Organisation label samplers. Now I'm hooked. Cherry Red released a little box late last year, and I snagged that too. I guess what I'm saying is I think you should hang on to the Platinum Collection.

    ReplyDelete