Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 August 2023

Devilish Banana Surfers

 



George writes:

There used to be a place in Birmingham called the Custard Factory. I always assumed it was where custard was made, but I may be wrong there. I saw The Fall at a venue there, and also The Most Energetic Frantic Sweaty performance I think I’ve ever seen (in marked contrast to Mark E Smith’s loafing around on stage), and this was by those Japanese noise terrorists Melt Banana. They were brilliant. Not for the faint-hearted, or those with delicate hearing, an hour or so of noise, screeching guitars, shouting. Brilliant.  I’ve just checked the spreadsheet, and there’s six of their albums listed, one of which is Bambi’s Dilemma, and here’s one of the 18 tracks on that album:


Melt Banana -Green -Eyed Devil

Next, the band of the bloke who did the vocals for Jesus Built My Hot-Rod (a song that I and CC himself will probably forever associate with being driven along a French motorway with our feet sticking out the sunroof of a Vauxhall Cavalier).  A band I’ve never seen, and I think I might have had a lucky escape judging by reports of films they screened as backdrop to some of their concerts - not for those of a squeamish disposition. This is from their later years, so a bit more conventional than early-years tracks. Thankfully it is still noisy and best played loud!

The Butthole Surfers -Dust Devil

(I think my choice of title of this piece is less offensive than the alternative play on words)


CC writes:

Glad you didn't go for the alternative title George!

Two acts perhaps not surprisingly making their debuts on these pages. Devil's music indeed.

I think I may have been to the Custard Factory. I loved custard as a kid but can't look at it now.

He's back next week.

3 comments:

  1. Clearly not many noise fans out there George

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ears were shredded long before I saw Melt Banana which was quite late in their career (mid 20teens at the Queens Road Social Club I believe) but any recovery I might have had was quickly put paid to. They were really quite astonishing. Never saw the Buttholes but they were much easier on the old lugholes. Give their single, Pepper a go CC - you may be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, The Custard Factory! You’re right, George, it was commissioned by Mr. Bird himself to produce the stuff. Sadly by the time I worked in Birmingham in the late 00s/early 10s, it was no longer producing custard or hosting legendary live gigs but a creative “business incubator” space. Not what Mr. Bird had in mind, I’d imagine.

    Thanks for The Butthole Surfers and introducing me to the delights of Melt Banana. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete