Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 August 2023

Up Jumped the Devil

 


George writes:

There’s possibly the devil in some people in this country, I’m not thinking of the angry moron who stormed into our post office recently, shouting and throwing a piece of paper at the man on the counter, but of the incomprehensibly stupid morons who deliberately start fires in August. 


Anyway………….in between moments of monitoring the Map Of Fires And Accidents, I wondered if Nick Cave had any devil related songs. He does! And it refers to the man (ie Satan) himself (or man-goat, fallen  angel, figment of imagination). It’s on the Tender Prey album

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds -Up Jumped the Devil

The devil’s been jumping up in other situations as well. For example, at Ronnie Dawson, in this 1950s rockabilly song

Ronnie Dawson with the Tin Stars - Up Jumped the Devil



There’s a version of this recorded for John Peel for a 1993 session, but it’s not in my Peel-recordings collection.


The song  has been covered by Izzy Stradlin, whose name was familiar, and it turns out he was a Gun or maybe a Rose, but don’t let that put you off, this is a very fine cover:



Time to shoehorn in Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson -Preachin' Blues (Up Jumped the Devil)


And unsurprisingly the Soledad Brothers have done that song,



As of course have the Gun Club.

A 4th song with the same title is this by John Davis



But I’m saving the best ‘til last, from Austria’s Kings Of Country Music. (I’m not sure there is too much squabbling going on for that particular crown)


So good is that song I am tempted to get the album. I thought that Chiemsee might be a little-known Native American tribe. It’s not……and chiemsee is in Bavaria not Austria, so it looks like the Austrians have to import their Kings Of Country


CC writes

Thanks George

The readers will all be jumping willy and indeed nilly


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was hoping I could find one. But I could not. I suspect you, though, can point me and the other readers in the right direction?

      Delete