Search This Blog

Thursday 31 August 2023

Same Title , Different Song - Tonight's the Night

 


I'm afraid I can't stretch to as many versions of this weeks tune than the six I managed with Blue last week

If you were to ask the average man or woman in the street "who sang Tonight's the Night?" 90% of them probably wouldn't have a clue. The chances are that 8 % would come up with Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright)  the single  by  Rod Stewart  hit which reached number 5 in the UK singles charts in 1976

The final 2% might pitch for Tonight's the Night the title track from the Neil Young album from 1975. I can't believe I don't have a copy of this album and this is something that I clearly need to rectify. Worry not, however, as I have a couple of live versions.

For the avoidance of doubt there are no scientific data behind the above figures. I just made them up.

It is possible, but unlikely, that many would have heard the song of that name by The Shirelles and even more unlikely the one by Solomon Burke.

Just to be silly I am also throwing in Wilco with Tonight's the Day

Rod Stewart -Tonight's the Night ( Gonna Be Alright)

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night (Live)

The Shirelles - Tonight's the Night

Solomon Burke - Tonight's the Night

Wilco - Tonight's the Day


2 comments:

  1. You turned into Richard Osman on this post.

    You'll be pleased to know I couldn't find any others. Neil for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to admit (albeit grudgingly) that the Rod Stewart track was really quite good until the spoken word bit at the end totally ruined it for me. Embrasse-moi indeed. No.Thank.You.

    ReplyDelete