Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 August 2023

Same Title, Different Song - Stay

 


A new series following a suggestion by  George on his Monday Race with the Devil post. He featured two songs by Gun and Gene Vincent & the Blue Caps. Both songs were called, not surprisingly, Race with the Devil but were two completely different songs.

He suggested that this might be an idea for a new series and I'm going to take him up on that and see how far we get. Any guest contribution  as always will be very welcomed.

I'm going to start with a one- worder namely Stay and I have come up with three.

Let's start with the song Stay that is the 15th and final track on Belly's 1993 debut album Star (note to self- must look up Star for this series)

Next up are Shakespears Sister who were/are a duet consisting of ex- Bananarama member and former partner of Bobby Bluebell, Siobhan Fahey and Marcella Detroit who I have just discovered co-write Eric Clapton's Lay Down Sally .Stay is a track from Hormonally Yours  their second album from 1992.

There is no need to provide any biographical details for our final act as you will all be familiar with the late great David Bowie. This Stay is the oldest of the three as it is the second of the three side two tracks on 1976's Station to Station.

Which one would you go with?

Another Same Title, Different Song next week

Belly - Stay

Shakespears Sister - Stay

David Bowie - Stay





8 comments:

  1. It will come as little surprise to learn that Bowie leads this little bunch as my personal pick, though another notable Stay for me would be the 1960 hit by Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs, oft covered over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How new is 'new' though?

    https://27leggies.blogspot.com/2015/12/single-song-title-sunday.html?m=0

    Leaving that aside, I agree with The Swede. Maurice Williams for me. Bizarrely, a live version of Maurice's tune provided Jackson Browne with his only UK Top 40 hit back in 1978.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always one step ahead of the posse

      Delete
    2. In similar vein to Ernie...

      https://histopten.blogspot.com/2022/03/not-that-one-friday-5-my-way.html

      Still, I'm glad you've started this series, as I was thinking of reviving Not That One Friday and calling it Title Fight. Now I don't have to. So you've saved me a lot of hassle. (That's not to say I won't do it once you've got bored.)

      A tough choice this week. I might have to go with the Sister, much as I love Belly. Bowie doesn't need any votes from me, his army of devoted apostles will always see him through.

      However, if you had included The Swede's suggestion of that Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs song, I might have been swayed by the Jackson Browne or Barry Manilow versions.

      Delete
  3. Is next week's song Bad (U2 and Michael Jackson)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did U2 do a song called Bad... or are you just referring to their entire back catalogue?

      (Was that the joke? Sorry.)

      Delete
  4. I go with the Belly track from this selection. I remember hating Shakespears Sister's Stay when it was all 'over the airwaves'. 8 weeks at No1 for heavens sake. Listening to it again now 30 yrs later doesn't produce that same loathing but it does go on a bit.

    ReplyDelete