Search This Blog

Friday 25 August 2023

Punk Nuggets

 


It's Friday so something to blow away the cobwebs and set you up for the weekend.

Punk Nuggets which seemingly consists of 15 Rabble -Rousing Rarities is the latest in Mojo magazine's occasional series Mojo Presents..

20% of them for you today. We will kick off with The Flys who were a band from Coventry and were on the go from 1976-1980. I think I saw them at Strathclyde University Union. Not that I remember the band but I do remember having a badge depicting a Fly. Band badges were very much a thing back then.

If like me your only knowledge of  Continental Punk is Belgium's Plastic Bertrand with Ça Plane Pour Moi you are in for a treat as I give you another punk song in French. Metal Urbain were from Paris and were on the go for the same period as The Flys with an obligatory reformation in 2003 . They were championed by John Peel  with this single being Rough Trade's first release.

Finally, for now, I'm going for Slaughter and the Dogs primarily because my brother recently sent me a link to one of their songs so their name jumped out. A Manchester Band who after a 15 year break from 1981 to 1996 are still going strong

Just be thankful I spared you  Sperm Bank Baby.

I suspect this one may well be re-visited. Meanwhile as the sleeve cover says Crank Up Really High!

The Flys - Love and a Molotov Cocktail

Metal Urbain - Paris Maquis

Slaughter and the Dogs - Cranked Up Really High

6 comments:

  1. It's a good one! Thanks, CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice call including the Flys. Wondering how that demo from the Mekons is on this collection. Maybe we can get a part two or a mekons post down the line...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bro-in-law's the punk in our family so I'll be off out in the morning to pick up that copy of Mojo for an early birthday present for him tho' I suspect that July issue has long since left the shelves - newsagents are brutal in getting rid of 'ancient' publications!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good selection, great that Mojo have gone for the less obvious - must see if I can find a copy. I have an abiding memory of going into my local record shop after school and being very thrilled by the contents of the punk singles box on the counter - my friend bought 'Where Have All The Bootboys Gone' by Slaughter & The Dogs - neither of us had heard it before but it was a corker and I was very jealous - had no idea they were back now! (I picked up 'Antisocial' by Skrewdriver, and the less said about them now, the better).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like C, I remember the punk singles box at my local record shop, but in my case it wasn't on the counter, it was under it and for a while you had to be in the know to be allowed to browse through it. I actually purchased a copy of Paris Maquis from that very punk box in 1977 and what a splendid racket it is. Just under three years later, I got a job in the record shop.

    ReplyDelete