Search This Blog

Tuesday 22 August 2023

Oh Susanna

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #70 - Oh Susanna - Oh Susanna

I was in the Canine Rescue shop in Newton Stewart  ( or the Smelly Dog shop as we know it) around four o'clock looking at the CDs tucked away in  a  corner when  I heard one of the volunteers saying to the other to shut the door before they got any customers as they were shutting.

A few minutes later I popped up at the counter. "I didn't know you were in" said the lady "you nearly got a lock in" Now under some circumstances a lock in in a charity shop would be good. This one had a decent number of CDs  at 25p each or three for 50p. Unfortunately there were only two which caught my eye.

One was Oh Susanna by Oh Susanna. It is from 2003 on Stella Records under licence to Hot Records. Hers was a name I was familiar as I saw her in Glasgow around 2001 where I picked up her album Sleepy Little Sailor.

Oh Susanna is a nom du plume for American/Canadian alternative country singer Suzie Ungerleider who now records under her own name. I thought the use of Oh Susanna was because it is easier to pronounce and remember but it seems that she wanted to keep her personal and professional lives separate.
Then in 2021 she announced that she was retiring the Oh Susanna stage name, after learning more about the complicated racial history of the song "Oh! Susanna"

It is not bad at all especially for 25p and will now be joining Sleepy Little Sailor on the Americana shelves.

Oh Susanna - Carrie Lee

Oh Susanna - I'll Keep it With Mine

3 comments:

  1. Nice Bob cover. I also saw her in the early noughties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By complete coincidence (or serendipity as we intellectuals like to say) the next alb on my A-Z trawl #2 is Oh Susanna's Sleepy Little Sailor! That's if you discount Of Monsters And Men which has just made it from shelf to car seat in readiness for my next car journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This one had a decent number of CDs at 25p each or three for 50p. Unfortunately there were only two which caught my eye."

    I know that feeling well.

    During my recent holiday, I visited a vast number of charity shops in North Yorkshire and came out empty handed every time. On my drive home, I stopped at the Co Op in one of our local villages and popped into the charity shop next door... one I visit quite frequently. I came out with 6 CDs.

    ReplyDelete