Search This Blog

Thursday 17 August 2023

Same Title, Different Song - Something to Believe In

 


Just the two songs to compare and contrast this week or two and a half if we cheat a little.

The gentleman above is none other than Kenny Anderson with the picture looking as though it has been taken in his home town of Crail. If the name is not familiar that is because for musical purposes he uses the moniker King Creosote.

Something to Believe In is the opening track from his 2014 masterpiece From Scotland With Love. It sets a high bar but all the other tracks on the album just about meet it.

This week KC is up against SM. Yes there is a song called Something to Believe In on The Joker a 1973 album by the Steve Miller Band. Now let's be realistic putting this song up against KC is akin to putting a dachshund up against a dobermann.

Therefore to make it a more even competition I am offering up a Very Nearly Same Title in the shape of Something to Believe by the excellent Weyes Blood a song from her 2019 album Titanic.

I'm sure that some of you will go with Weyes Blood, and that will be your prerogative,  but it is King Creosote for me.


King Creosote -Something to Believe In

Steve Miller Band -Something to Believe In

Weyes Blood -Something to Believe


7 comments:

  1. Steve Miller is the dobermann in that analogy I assume?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going for KC, no question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All due respect to Mr. Creosote, but I love Steve Miller. I've rarely met a SMB song that didn't leave me with a huge smile on my face. I wish I could be one of the cool kids, I really do.

    Of course, I could further ruin my cred by pointing you towards the following...

    Poison - Something To Believe In
    Clannad - Something To Believe In
    Bon Jovi - Something To Believe In
    Citizen Cope - Something To Believe In
    Ian Hunter - Something To Believe In

    No?

    OK, last shots...

    The Ramones - Something To Believe In
    Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Something To Believe

    Those last two are almost as good as Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admired the non-partisan, even-handed, impartial objectivity in your presentation here and so my vote goes to..............King Creosote.

    Did I do right? Cheque in the post?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much as I like Weyes Blood, it’s clearly King Creosote.

    Intrigued by this hot new act The Steve Miller Band, though. What else have they done?

    ReplyDelete