Search This Blog

Sunday 13 August 2023

An A to Z of American Cities - Q

 


The first of a few weeks that I have been dreading and one where this series begins to come off the rails.

The only thing that I could come up with was the theme from Quincy M.E .There are at least 17 places in America called Quincy and yet I still couldn't find a song with Quincy in the title. I've  been to Quincy, Massachusetts (population 100K) where I watched a Celtic v Rangers game in an Irish pub. Quincy is to Boston what Paisley is to Glasgow.

Thankfully I had some assistance. Ernie offered up the splendidly named Last Meeting of the Quakertown Optimists Club by Jason Wilber. Quakertown is in Pennsylvania and has a population of just under 10K. In his e-mail Ernie wrote World Population Review says it is a city, Wikipedia says it is a town, its own website says its a borough. I’ll let you decide whether it counts. It won't come as a surprise to you that I have gone with the World Population Review.

As you would expect Rol came up with a couple. He advised that there are at least two places called Queen City one in Texas and one in Missouri  along with a formerly inhabited place in Iowa. I'm going for the Queen City in Texas with a population of 1394. Rol suggested the song Queen City by Heart.

He also mentioned Questa in New Mexico with a population of 1770. Wiki states it is a village but our new favourite reference point World Population Review have it down as a city. The Yardbirds song Questa Volta probably has nothing to do with this place but needs must.

Occasional commentator Marc mentioned  Quantico, Virginia with a population of 579. Again there is some debate about its status but we will go with the WPR. Marc didn't offer up a song but I found a techno track called Quantico by an Italian band called Kwartz which you will be glad to know that I'm not going to subject you to.

Oh alright then, if you  insist:



Next up is R which is obviously much easier that Q but not quite as easy as I first thought. I have a few though.


Quincy M.E. Theme Song

Jason Wilbur - Last Meeting of the Quakertown Optimists Club

Heart - Queen City

The Yardbirds -Questa Volta

5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed you managed to get as many as you did.

    I assume you have the obvious ones for Rockville and Rock Island already. Can offer Reno, Roseville, Rapid City, Red Oak and Rocky Top if required. Just say the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a lot of help today
    Think I have R covered. A couple of the name you suggest will feature

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Quincy theme tune was my winner today.

    Adding to Ernie's obvious choices - Redondo Beach. And there are loads of Riversides.

    The Pixies - Motorway To Roswell
    Buffalo Tom - Racine
    The Avett Brothers - Pretty Girl From Raleigh
    The 5678's - Rockin' Rochester

    And Evan Dando does a great tune called Rancho Santa Fe, which iffypedia tells me is a "census-designated place", whatever the hell that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made it as far as 0:48 on the Quantico track - is this a record?

    ReplyDelete