Search This Blog

Monday 14 August 2023

Under The Red Sky

 



Missing Records is a good place to go for my long term quest of acquiring all 40 of Bob Dylan's studio albums.

On my most recent visit I  picked up Under the Red Sky his 27th studio album from 1990 on the Columbia label as always as part of a 3 for £5 deal. It is not one I had heard or even heard of before and I had to look it up to see whether it was a genuine studio album. It is and by reckoning that is now the 24th on the shelves so still a fair way to go.

Produced by Bob under the pseudonym Jack Frost along with Don and David Was it was not that critically well received upon its release particularly when compared to its predecessor Oh Mercy. When I listen to the first track Wiggle Wiggle I could see why. The public seemed to agree with the critics  and it sold poorly.

I'm not altogether sure whether it is worth the £1.66 I paid for it but there are a few passable tracks  including the two below.
I think we need to hear from the Swede who is always relentlessly positive on all things Dylan





4 comments:

  1. I have a single from this on 7". Bought in the Woolworths bargain bin in 1990. Probably not played since 1990 either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bootleg copy that I picked up somewhere in Eastern Europe on a CD that had mp3 versions of every album from "Slow Train Coming" to "World Gone Wrong". "Born in Time" is good and I quite like "Handy Dandy", but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not Bob's best, that's for certain, though it's a towering masterpiece compared to Dylan & the Dead. (Btw, are you on the lookout for Desire? I spotted a copy in a local charity shop for £1 today).

    ReplyDelete