Search This Blog

Thursday 24 August 2023

Same Title, Different Song - Blue

 


I've been working on a Road Trip MP3 for the car. So far there are a few hundred songs on it.

We played it in the car the other day and when Blue by the Jayhawks came on I said to Mrs CC "that has given me an idea for a series. Blue Monday with tracks featuring the word Blue. "

When I thought about it a bit more I thought that some tracks which only have the word Blue in the title may be more appropriate for this series. And that's how Blog series' evolve folks.

Six tracks today (although I could have given you more) and all with a country/Americana slant.

Naturally we will start with the Jayhawks and their song Blue from the Tomorrow the Green Grass album. When they played at the Garage in Glasgow Sharleen Spiteri of Texas fame joined them for this song and we managed to have a chat with her afterwards.

Let's face it Lucinda Williams was always going to write a song called Blue and sure enough one appears on her 2001 album Essence.

James Edwyn and the Borrowed Band are from Glasgow and they first came to my attention via Last Night From Glasgow. I have a couple of their albums with their song Blue being taken from 2022's Highlights of the Lowlights.

The Swedish sisters Johanna and Klara Söderberg who are better known as First Aid Kit  have released five albums to date. Blue is taken from the second one 2012's The Lions Roar

Katie Crutchfield records under the non du plume Waxahatchee .Her song Blue is from her third album 2015's Ivy Tripp which was the first of hers I bought.

Finally we have Gene Parsons with a homage to his dog Blue  from the live album In Concert - I Hope They Let Us In.

Feel free to let me know I have missed out your favourite Blue record


The Jayhawks -Blue

Lucinda Williams - Blue

James Edwyn & the Promised Band - Blue

First Aid Kit - Blue

Waxahatchee - Blue

Gene Parsons - Blue

12 comments:

  1. I am boycotting this series for reasons you will understand. But if I wasn't I would say this is a very good selection.

    The obvious omission is Joni Mitchell but she probably isn't cool enough for you anarcho-hipster types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you are boycotting this you will not read this but the focus was on Americana/Country!
      I've probably got enough for another post.

      Delete
    2. How could I have been expected to know that when I haven't read it?

      Delete
  2. "I've been working on a Road Trip MP3 for the car. So far there are a few hundred songs on it."
    That should be enough (your road trip is, of course, to drive down to these parts)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's long but not that long!

      Delete
    2. as the actress said to the bishop

      Delete
    3. Sounds like one of my Road Trip playlists, CC. And Clan K still complain that there's nothing decent to listen to!

      Delete
  3. Any post which features Waxahatchee is fine by me. Great post CC. Swc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neither Americana/Country or (Mandatory) Reggae but the one that immediately sprang to mind was Blue by Fine Young Cannibals. Appealed to me even more when I read that it was a scathing attack on Thatcher and the Tories.

    "There's no denying life
    Would be better if I never ever had to live with you"

    Sadly, seems just as relevant now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A mighty strong selection indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A damn fine collection of songs here. I too was going to nominate Fine Young Cannibals' Blue but had failed to take in your strict Americana/Country criteria. If/when you extend this thread to all titles with Blue in we'll be here until 2026!!!!

    ReplyDelete