Search This Blog

Friday 1 September 2023

Panic in Detroit

 

Detroit 67


When it came to D in my A-Z of American Cities I did not include Detroit.

However when I heard the Detroit Emeralds on the radio the other day It go me thinking about bands with Detroit in their name.

In addition to the Emeralds there are the Detroit Spinners and also the Detroit Cobras so a song from all 3 is in order. Had I included D in the A-Z series the song I would have selected would have been Panic in Detroit by David Bowie

I believe that Detroit is very run down these days partly because the motor industry for which it was famous has  now long gone. It was also the home of the Motown label and is also infamous for the riots in 1967 as part of the Civil Rights movement . Stuart Cosgrove covers these in his excellent book  Detroit 67: The Year That Changed Soul see here

Detroit Emeralds - Feel the Need in Me

Detroit Spinners - Working My Way Back to You

Detroit Cobras - Shout Bama Lama

David Bowie - Panic in Detroit

9 comments:

  1. The Cobras are touring in November including London and your own home town. Unfortunately the London gig clashes with a Bush Tetras gig that I have already bought tickets for. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Lulu did a cover, but I was wrong, She did, though, cover another well known song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY5Fs-8v7D4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's not forget Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a couple of stonking funk tunes by The Detroit Sex Machines, who, as the name suggests, plough a not dissimilar furrow to the Godfather of Soul himself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four tremendous (I was going to say stonking but The Swede got in first Grrr!) tracks there. I knew Blondie's Detroit 442 but turns out there are hundreds of Detroit songs including apparently Foreigner's Don't Stop Believin' which has the lyric "born and raised in south Detroit"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Journey what did "Don't Stop Believin' " . Foreigner did "Waiting for a Girl Like You", "I Want to Know What Love Is", "Feels Like the First Time", "Urgent" and "Cold as Ice". Also Journey are an American Band. Although often mishtooken for a US Band, Foreigner (as their name suggests) were two English blokes, one from Spooky Tooth and the other from King Crimson. People really need to focus when the MOR gets bandied about as if it doesn't matter.

      Delete
    2. The MOR Revolution starts now!

      Delete