Search This Blog

Monday 4 September 2023

In My Life

 


On last weeks More  Devil Women post I shared a song by Nadia Reid off a compilation CD In My Life (Mojo Presents the New Singer Songwriters) from August 2020.

To my annoyance I couldn't find the CD  but fortunately I have burned a copy of it. When I played the burn I was even more annoyed as there are some very good songs on it.
In addition to Nadia  Waxahatchee,  Phoebe Bridges, Sufjan Stevens, Ren Harvieu, Bright Eyes, This is the Kit and Emily Barker have all appeared here before.

That still leaves seven to choose from. Let's start with the opening act Sophie Allison who is better known by her stage name Soccer Mommy. Bloodstream is the opening song from her 2020 album Color Theory on the Loma Vista label.

Angel Olsen is an artist that many of you are probably familiar with. Whole New Mess is the title track from her 2020 album on the Jagiaguwar label written following the collapse of a romantic relationship.

I was familiar with the two artists above even if only vaguely aware as to their music. However, my final choice Anjimile is a new name to me. The internet tells me that Anjimile Chithambo is an American folk singer from Boston. Their first album Giver Taker was released on the Father/Daughters label in 2020. Now signed to 4AD the follow up album The King is due shortly.

I'm away for a further look to see if I can find the CD!

Angel Olsen - Whole New Mess

Anjimile - Maker

2 comments:

  1. Soccer Mommy - a name wrong on so many levels...well two actually. That said I liked the track (overlong though) and will look out for some of Sophie's other stuff. What's wrong with Sophie Allison, Sophie? I passed on Angel Olsen and my fave of the 3 was Anjimile - interesting voice too. Opening parts of the track reminded me very much of a King Creosite song.

    ReplyDelete