Search This Blog

Thursday 14 September 2023

I Think I'm Gradually Learning

 


A couple of days ago I found myself singing Gradually Learning a song by the British Americana band The Rockingbirds. Later on that day I went to the gym and the first song which  appeared when I fired up the MP3 player was - yes you've guessed it - Gradually Learning by The Walkingbirds.

Now us Bloggers learn not to ignore such things. It was clearly a sign that it was due for another feature on these pages.

I have the 12 inch single which first came out on the Heavenly label in 1992 when it also appeared on their self - titled  debut album. Another single from the album was Jonathan, Jonathan which is a tribute to a certain Mr Richman. The song In Tall Buildings was not a single but probably deserved to be.

Initially they were on the go from 1990 to 1995. They then reformed for the Heavenly Records 18th Anniversary show in 2008 and have popped up intermittently ever since with their last album being released in 2019 .Lead singer Alan Tyler has also pursued a solo career.

It's always good to have Bobbie Gentry whispering in your ear again

The Rockingbirds -Gradually Learning

The Rockingbirds - Jonathan, Jonathan

The Rockingbirds -In Tall Buildings

4 comments:

  1. I was in a charity shop in Skipton over the summer and found a Rockingbirds album. Being a big fan of Gradually Learning myself, I had to have it. The man at the counter gave me a nod, "Ah... the Rockingbirds..." (He didn't have anything to say about my other purchase: ELO.)

    There's nothing on the album I bought that's half as good as GL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gradually Learning is an unexpectedly uplifting start to my Thursday morning CC, thank you and with Bobbie Gentry whispering in your ear plus a banjo and an accordion - ticks a lot of boxes for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, what a fine band they were/are, depending on the current state of play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always bene rather fond of the Rockingbirds

    ReplyDelete