Search This Blog

Saturday 2 September 2023

Saturday Shuffle 20

 


We are starting off this week  in Central America on a horticultural mission with R.E.M. That sounds like a clue from Rol's Saturday Snapshots doesn't it? I know you will all be over there tackling his cryptic clues rather than here. I know I will.

The more clever among you that the clue in bold refers to The Flowers of Guatemala the first song on side two of 1986's Lifes Rich Pageant.

As well as cryptic clues and anagrams Rol provides pictures of the act in question. I wonder how many of you recognise the handsome couple above? They are none other than Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs who joined forces for Under the Covers  a series of covers albums here

You're My Favorite Waste of Time was a song written and originally released by Marshall Henshaw and subsequently covered by Better Middler. In the UK Owen Paul reached number 3 in the singles charts in 1986 with his version My Favourite Waste of Time. Sadly I don't have a copy of that one so I can't share it with you.

I didn't want to put you off your cornflakes by posting a picture of Mark E Smith. Cruiser's Creek by the mighty Fall is a 1985 single written during the recording sessions for their album This Nation's Saving Grace.

We celebrate our 21st next Saturday

R.E.M. - The Flowers of Guatemala

Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs - You're My Favorite Waste of Time

The Fall - Cruiser's Creek


2 comments:

  1. Handsome couple? or Beauty and the Beast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. Run that by me again. Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet have released a covers album? What, more than one? How many then? A four CD set!!!! Hahahahaha

    Great to hear a Fall track on here and a belter to boot. There are plenty more where that came from. MES like all of us was a handsome fellow once

    ReplyDelete