Search This Blog

Sunday 17 September 2023

An A to Z of American Cities - W

 


Much as I would have liked to feature Wichita by The Jayhawks or even Wichita Skyline by Shawn Colvin I knew that my life would be in danger from Rol had I not opted for Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell. That means that the three Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb big hitters have all featured (the others obviously being Galveston and By The Time I Get to Phoenix). There was no way that any of them could have been  left out.

Wichita as I'm sure you are all aware is the most populous city in the state of Kansas with just under 400K residents .It is obviously most famous for the song but one of the Earp brothers once ran a brothel there.

Again it was a tough choice when it came to Washington DC the capital city of the United States. The District of Columbia is on the east bank of the Potomac River and borders Virginia and Maryland. Although it is the nation's capital its population of  670K makes it only the 23rd largest city in the US. Christmas in Washington by Steve Earle was the front runner to feature for a while until I remembered about Washington Bullets by The Clash from Sandinista.

There was only one song about West Memphis that came to mind and it is yet another by Lucinda Williams. I haven't counted but I suspect that she has had more songs than any other artist in this series. West Memphis is the largest city in Crittenden County, Arkansas with a population of 26K. It is located directly across the Mississippi River from Memphis, Tennessee.

Not content with plugging shamelessly for Wichita Rol also offered up Wichita Falls by American Aquarium. Wichita Falls is the seat of governance in Wichita County in Texas and has a population of 104K. I tracked down an acoustic version of the song. I'm not sure whether this version is the one that Rol had in mind but it is rather good. I  used to have a Butch Hancock song which contained the lines climbing the walls in Wichita Falls. If anyone recognises this please can they put me out of my misery.

Waco is the 22nd most populous city in Texas with a population of around 138K and is conveniently situated halfway between Austin and Dallas. Were it not a made up name it would be most famous as the home of the Waco Brothers. However it is most famous for the Waco Siege of  1993 which resulted in the death of 4 ATF Agents and 82 Branch Davidians - here On a lighter note Waco is on the Brazos River which is helpful for the song below by Billy Walker

Finally to make up for the paucity of songs next week I am offering up a 6th city. Some of you may have worked out from the picture that the city in question is Wabash a city in Indiana with a population of 10666 as at the 2010 census. In addition to the fictional train made famous by Lonnie Donegan and many others Wabash claims to be the first electrically lighted city in the world from as far back as 31st March 1880.

We conclude this series next week with the letters X,Y and Z. As things currently stand I have no X's, two Y's and one tenuous and one very dubious Z.

Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

The Clash - Washington Bullets

 Lucinda Williams - West Memphis

American Aquarium - Wichita Falls

Billy Walker - Cross the Brazos at Waco

Lonnie Donegan - Wabash Canonball

9 comments:

  1. I might be wrong but I think Xanadu is a city in Utah. Swc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A district in the city of Taylorsville I'm afraid Steve

      Delete
  2. Let me be the first of what will undoubtedly be many to say how delighted I am that you have posted one of the greatest songs ever recorded. One of my Top Ten Go To songs (but not on one of Top Ten Go To albums)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't familiar with the acoustic version of Wichita Falls, but here's the original for you to compare...

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zlLHOL5rchiapTtWbY4auIB06uS46nQ1/view?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xanadu was the best I could come up with for X.

    Chip Taylor has a couple of songs that mention Yonkers. I'm presuming you have Youngstown covered. Does Johnny Yuma count?

    Rufus Wainwright sings about Zebulon. And I was very pleased to see there's a city called Zimmerman. Beyond the obvious (although it refers to the obvious), can I offer...

    Amy Rigby - From Philiproth@gmail to Rzimmerman@aol.com

    (Yes, that is a song title.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's quite fitting that Lucinda Williams would have the most entries in this series. The first page of her memoir, which I'm reading now, is a list of all the places she has lived - and there are many.
    We have tons of cities that begin with Y, but very few Xs and Zs. There's a Zuma Beach near Malibu, and a Neil Young album called Zuma - but alas it doesn't have a title track. Zeeland is a city in Michigan, named after the Dutch province, but I sure don't know any songs named after it. Ditto for Zephyrhills, Florida and Xenia, Ohio.
    --Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your contributions to this series Marc.I've just finished reading Lucinda's book.You can almost hear her reading it out loud!

      Delete