Search This Blog

Friday 18 June 2021

Howlin' Wind

 


2021 Charity Shop Purchases 33  Graham Parker and the Rumour - Howlin' Wind

I had a mini vinyl haul from Oxfam in Byres Road in Glasgow's West End the other week.

I've a few Graham Parker and the Rumour albums on vinyl but couldn't remember if Howlin' Wind was one. It turns out it was but it was only a couple of quid so it was worth taking a chance. I shall be donating it to my pal Pete who has actually seen them live unlike me. I balked at the price of the ticket but wish I'd gone now.

Turns out I actually picked it up in a charity shop in St Andrews in 2015

From 1976 on Vertigo it is their debut  record and while greeted enthusiastically by the critics it never troubled the charts.
It is a terrific record with half a dozen of the tracks featuring on their subsequent Best of

For  my future reference I am commiting to print that I have Howlin' Wind, Stick to Me and The Up Escalator.
As all five Graham Parker and the Rumour albums are essential the two missing parts of the jigsaw remain Heat Treatment and Squeezing Out the Sparks.

Hopefully now committed to memory



3 comments:

  1. The two you are missing are probably my personal favourites, but they are all excellent as you say CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of 2015 - that was when I saw Graham Parker live with Brinsley Schwarz. A great gig which my pal Charlie reviewed for the Daily Record

    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/review-graham-parker-brinsley-schwarz-5597012

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them in London on the same tour with a couple of mates one of whom was on crutches so we covered Charli's grey hairs, beer bellies and cripples between us

      Delete