Search This Blog

Saturday 5 December 2020

50 Americana Albums to Hear Before You Die - Cathryn Craig

 


The penultimate song in this series and I suspect that  again there will be those saying trhat it is not Americana. I beg to differ

Cathryn Craig may well be from Richmond, Virginia but her first three records between 1995 and 2001 were released by Goldrush Records from Perth, Perth and Kinross. There was also a record shop with that name in Perth run by a guy called Barclay and I very much suspect that the two were connected.

I have the middle of the three the eponymous one above from 1997. If you don't have it firstly give yourself a slap and secondly head to Discogs where it is going for 50p.

From 2002 she has been performing as part of a duet wth Brian Willoughby and they are still going strong.

I saw her twice during her solo years once in the County Hotel, Perth and once in Blackfriars in Glasgow.I've told the following story and featured the song it is about twice here  before and make no apologies for doing so again

When I went with a couple of pals to see Cathryn Craig play in Blackfriars in Glasgow at the end of the show we expressed some polite disappointment that she hadn't sung Colorado. She got out her guitar, sat down and played it for the three of us. Quality

Ok George, so it's Country , but to me it certainly merits inclusion in this series.

There will be no debate or arguement about next week's  final act. An artist who in 1998 No Depression magazine (which I used to subscibe to) named as the Artist of the Decade


Cathryn Craig - Talk to You

Cathryn Craig - Colorado

Cathryn Craig - Love Coming Down on Me

No comments:

Post a Comment