Search This Blog

Saturday 26 May 2018

Slim Pickings - Chapter 2


Today sees the last of my Holiday Haul - if you can call two Uncut compilations and one which is going back a haul.
The imaginatively titled Playlist from March 2006 has a lot more to offer than the one featured last week.Over half of the tracks warranted an outing but as is my want these days I'm going for two acts who haven't graced these pages with their presence before.

Two Gallants are Adam Stephens and Tyson Vogel a drum and guitar duo from San Francisco.
Steady Rollin' is a pleasant little ditty from their album What the Toll Tells on the Saddle Creek label

I shot my wife today
Dropped her body in the Frisco Bay

Gentlemen, please don’t try this at home.

Singer/songwriter Howie Beck is yet another Canadian artist. Without me actually trying there has been a reasonable Canuk precence here over the last few days.This one is from his eponymous 2006 album on the Ever label.

I was originally tempted to pick up this album because it has a cover of Tempted by Richard Thompson. It is ok but merely serves to highlight how effortlessly brilliant Squeeze often were.

Two Gallants - Steady Rollin'

Howie Beck - Don't Be Afraid

Richard Thompson - Tempted

3 comments:

  1. That two gallants album is mighty fine. I love Waves of Grain from it.
    Swc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the Two Gallants song and Richard Thompson is always worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could have used that Two Gallants track in my Top Ten Kill Your Spouse Songs.

    ReplyDelete