Search This Blog

Thursday 14 December 2017

Icky Thump


On Icky Thump the 6th and final  studio album by The White Stripes, they  mash up northern English vernacular with the title (meaning what the heck) and the cover where Jack and Meg appear as a Pearly king and queen part of the Cockney culture of London.
The music is also the usual mash of garage rock and scuzzy blues and whatever else takes Jack's  fancy in this case Scottish folk music,trumpets and bagpipes.
The theme according to Jack is about feeling positive about being alive, taking deep breaths and just being really happy and who are we to argue
It's hard to believe that this is now 10 years old and indeed that the first of their albums was released in 1999.
With this purchase that's me now got all 6 of their studio albums something that makes me rather happy. What can I say, I'm easily pleased.

The White Stripes - You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)

The White Stripes - Catch Hell Blues



7 comments:

  1. Blimey, ten years old, that came as a bit of a surprise! This album graces our CD shelves too, although must admit haven't listened to it in ages. Perhaps it's time to give it another spin. Easily pleased is definitely the best way to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed with this album and have barely listened to it in the past 10 years. Always had a soft spot for the YDKWI (YJDAYT) though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew what that LP title was all about, with Jack being so idiosyncratic and all. Was kind of done with the Stripes by this point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Have to admit that there was an element ( a large one) of that in this purchase Brian!

      Delete
  5. Not their best, no, but still had some great tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was blown away by the White Stripes even before they burst on the scene (I'd heard White Stripes and De Stijl) and White Blood Cells was their breakthrough album (Peel involved of course), then Elephant franked Jack's genius. A story I often tell is that I saw White Stripes, The Strokes and The Hives (remember them?)within a short period at Sheffield's Leadmill. My son remains jealous to this day about that. Anyway, getting to my point, since that period, Jack's various musical divergences (save the odd solo/group track) have left me cold. Is it me or him? I just feel he's become Mr Ubiquity and dipped his toes in too many ventures and diluted himself to water as a result. Just like us all I guess!

    ReplyDelete