Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 December 2023

Trains and Boats and Planes 5 - Another Guest Post

 


George writes (again) 


It has been suggested, by some (one -Ed) readers of these pages, and justifiably so, that the younger brother of CC has a better taste in music than the man himself. My younger brother, on the other hand, has a terrible record collection, truly awful; he purchased that War Of The Worlds Jeff Lynne album thingy, for example. But I think, and I’m going back over 40 years, he bought one of the records below. Of course, I might be wrong, and given my recent history of leaving cafés without paying I could be wrong. Here is said song, a fine example of NWOBHM, a genre that is sadly not represented here very often:



Saxon - 747 Strangers in the Night


Yes, that’s Dobby on bass, and Biff doing the vocal.


So that’s planes. Boats now, and I gave CC a choice of two tracks, and he picked this memorable 1974 pop-soul song. And I bet I’m not the only one here who knows more lyrics to this than most of the records we have acquired over the last 20 years:



Trains, and a song that could easily be attributed to our favourite German band (NO!, not FSK before he inserts that), Can.  It’s a remarkable track, worth casting aside any pre-conceptions about inane wailing and screeching from Ms Ono, and just put your listening ears for this marvel




And to end, a version of the song that inspired the series:




CC writes:
Thanks again George - where else on the Internet would you find Saxon, The Hues Corporation and Yoko Ono on the same post?


5 comments:

  1. Unusual use of the word 'sadly' in the sentence "a fine example of NWOBHM, a genre that is sadly not represented here very often".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put aside my preconceptions regarding Ms. Ono and was therefore rather surprised to find myself listening to almost 17 minutes of "inane wailing and screeching". In future, I will be sticking with my preconceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hear it for The Hues Corporation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our love is like a ship on the ocean

      Delete
  4. Two (insert eyes emoji) excellent tracks there. Yoko has her moments but sadly Mind Train wasn't one of them. Quite liked Vasso Ovale's cover but got distracted by her AI produced chin in that photo!

    ReplyDelete