Search This Blog

Friday 15 December 2023

Masterpiece

 


As is more often than not the case I was extremely late to the party when it came to Big Thief .It was only a couple of years ago when I first heard them courtesy of the song Not appearing on a Mojo compilation called Ragged Glories. 

I was completely blown away and subsequently tracked down their 2019 album Two Hands from whence it came. It turns out that this was in fact their 4th album with their debut album Masterpiece having been released by Saddle Creek as far back as May 2016.

It has recently been remastered and re-released by 4AD. They certainly hit the ground running with this review from Pitchfork correctly describing singer Adrianne Lenker as a clear star.

During what I would loosely describe as the research for this post I discovered that Adrianne is touring Europe in the Spring and is playing Glasgow's Old Fruitmarket on 24th April. The website stated that there were 6 tickets left. I thought I was in luck until I discovered they were looking for £93 a pop. A clear star or not I think I will give it a miss and content myself with becoming acquainted with Masterpiece.

Big Thief - Masterpiece

Big Thief - Real Love

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's good. But not £93 good. I'd want Gene to reform in my front room for that.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I expect that the price went up as availability went down

    ReplyDelete
  3. As good as masterpiece is. Capacity is better..... nearly perfect in fact....swc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's enough in both those tracks to make me add them to my wants list, There's something annoyingly familiar about her voice/their sound (isn't there always) so I'll have to work that out when I have the time (spoiler alert: don't hold my beer)

    ReplyDelete