Search This Blog

Monday 4 December 2023

Covered By Cat

 



It was Drew over at Twitter who first drew my attention to the recent album Cat Power Sings Dylan: The 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert here. It is quite magnificent.

It was a documentary by Andy Kershaw which first made me aware of the original concert which was actually recorded at Manchester Free Trade Hall. This was the somewhat infamous concert with Bob and the band playing acoustic on the first set and then playing an electric set along with The Hawks leading to the famous cry of Judas from the audience. This was subsequently released as The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966 in 1998

Cat faithfully and brilliantly re-enacts the entire album track by track.

This got me thinking of a previous covers album by her from 2000 on the Matador label which was imaginatively but correctly called The Covers Record here
12 tracks covering songs from the likes of the Rolling Stones, Moby Grape, Velvet Underground and Smog.
There are also two Dylan numbers - the traditional Kingsport Town and Paths of  Victory.
I've included a couple below.

I swithered about posting something from the current album but figured that it will be available on Spotify and other streaming services so decided to go for it. The couple of dozen hardy souls who read this won't make that much difference,







11 comments:

  1. Swithered? Is that something Scottish and withered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've described me in a nutshell!
      I wasn't aware until now that it was mainly a Scottish word.

      Delete
  2. I played the Covers album on saturday. As for this Dylan covers album, have you acquired it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to her Dylan cover album a few weeks ago and it is wonderful. Close to the originals but her voice makes them different and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still miss Drews blog. I'm not on Twitter. Hope he is good. Swc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drew's on Twitter Swc and is mostly fine, occasionally a little grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What SWC said. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hero of this parish Robyn Hitchcock performed a fabulous 30th anniversary RAH concert at the Borderline in 1996. It was subsequently released on cd as 'Robyn Sings' in 2002.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pssh! Covers of iconic songs - especially whole albums of 'em. I mean really, what IS the point? All they make me want to do is to go back and listen to the original. I get that covering an individual song might have some traction but......

    ReplyDelete