Search This Blog

Thursday 21 December 2023

In Praise of Glasgow Record Shops

 


This year I have bought a paltry 22 records compared to 50 from the year before.

Three were bought at concerts(The Dream Syndicate, Dropkick and The Boys with the Perpetual Nervousness) and four from charity/second hand shops. A second hand Boxtops record was bought from Europa Records in Stirling and Monday's Lucinda Williams album from HMV in East Kilbride.

All the others were from Glasgow record shops

The majority were from the Music from Big Blue record shop in the Hidden Lane off Argyle St in Finnieston which doubles as the HQ of Last Night from Glasgow. Most were as part of my annual subscription but I did take advantage of a couple more using my membership discount.

Just along Argyle Street from the Hidden Lane is a pub called Strip Joint which as well as selling beer sells records. I don't need to tell you that that is a dangerous combination. I came away from there with Cruel Country by Wilco.

On the subject of record shops and beer I am sure that many of you will be familiar with Monorail the record shop run by Stephen Pastel which is an integral part of Mono bar/restaurant off King Street. Nothing Lasts For Ever by Teenage Fanclub was my purchase there picked up at the fantastic in-store show by Teenage Fanclub

Love Music on Dundas Street at the side of Queen Street Station and run by Sandy McLean is a Glasgow institution. Over a couple of visits I came away with a few bargain CDs and yet another Wilco album in Cousin.

A shout out her for Missing Records on Oswald Street near Central Station .No vinyl purchases this year but plenty cheap and cheerful CDs.

Finally we are off to the South Side and Some Great Reward which was formerly on Victoria Road. It has now relocated to the Cooperage off Pollokshaws Road about half a mile away. It is the Southside equivalent of the Hidden Lane with a lovely courtyard which should be ideal for the in -store  gigs they regularly put on. No beer but they do coffee. This was the scene of my most recent purchase Exit Light the excellent debut album by Raveloe on Lloyd Merideth's  Olive Grove Records a favourite of this blog.


Teenage Fanclub - Falling into the Sun

Wilco - Infinite Desire

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this ode to the record shops of Glasgow. On my next visit I expect to be chauffeured to each of them by you (I'll buy you a coffee at Some Great Reward as a thank you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed this tour around the shops. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. No-one popping into Listen these days?

    ReplyDelete