Search This Blog

Monday 11 December 2023

Jackie Brown

 


I watched Jackie Brown the 1997 film by Quintin Tarantino on Friday night on the Dave channel. The film is 2hrs 34 minutes long. When you add in the adverts that takes it to well over three hours. Although the adverts are a pain my bladder retention isn't what it was in 1987 so I was pretty grateful.

If you haven't seen the film I won't go into any great detail in case you wish to watch it without knowing the whole story. Suffice to say it centres around money illegally being smuggled in from Mexico by air hostess Jackie Brown (Pam Greer)  for the gun runner  Ordell (Samuel L Jackson). It is adapted from Elmore Leonard's 1992 thriller Rum Punch.

It has a stellar cast - Greer, Jackson ,Robert De Niro, Bridget Fonda, Robert Forster and Michael Keaton with Greer, Jackson and Forster stealing the show.

Unusually for a Tarantino film it is not particularly violent. I counted only four shootings and none of them were particularly close up. Plenty of swearing though (the soundtrack comes with a Parental Advisory warning of Explicit Content).

Not unusually for Tarantino it has an excellent soundtrack  which is mainly soul driven. It was one I bought not long after seeing the film and some of the songs feature below. These are all safe for work.

If you haven't seen it it is worth a watch.

Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street

Bill Withers - Who Is He (And What Is He To You?)

Randy Crawford - Street Life

The Delfonics - Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)



6 comments:

  1. Ah yes, Robert Forster... and yet still you weren't able to get my clue on Saturday morning. Still, I guess you slept in between watching the film and playing Snapshots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Bill WIthers track (I've got that Still Bill album). I don't know what Rol is referring to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actor Robert Forster was in the film.
      The singer Robert Forster was in Saturday Snapshots and nobody identified him

      Delete
  3. One of the best things about the film was the Delfonics song that Jackie played time and time again. Fell in love with it.

    ReplyDelete