Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 December 2023

Brothers, Sisters 10 ....

 

   


It's a battle today between two of my favourite genres with the Sisters in the Americana corner and the Brothers representing Southern Soul.

First up today are the Sisters. Emily Miller and Zara Bode are an Americana duo from Brooklyn, New York who are known collectively as The Sweetback Sisters. They have released five albums between 2009 and 2017 all on the Signature Sounds label.

The one I have is a burn of their 2011 album Looking For a Fight which I took from Langside Library's CD library when that was still a thing. For your listening pleasure today I give you the title track and their cover of Dwight Yoakam's It Won't Hurt When I Fall Down From This Barstool.

Representing the Brothers this week are Richard Dunbar and Jimmy Diggs from Washington DC who recorded as The Knight Brothers until they split in 1968. Both of these numbers come from the  brilliant Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures - Taken From the Vaults series on Kent Records.

Tried So Hard to Please Her is from Volume1 with Temptation 'Bout to Get Me being the opening track on Volume 4.

A really tough call this week but I think that the Brothers just about shade it primarily because of Temptation. 

The Sweetback Sisters - Looking For a Fight

The Sweetback Sisters - It Won't Hurt When I Fall Down From This Barstool

The Knight Brothers - Tried So Hard to Please Her

The Knight Brothers - Temptation 'Bout To Get Me


3 comments:

  1. Pretty close contest this week. I think the Sisters might take it for me on the strength of the song titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough one. I'm going for the Brothers but "Looking For A Fight" is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Song titles notwithstanding I'm with the Brothers this week

    ReplyDelete