Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 December 2023

Trains and Boats and Planes 4 - A Guest Post

 


George e-mailed me with some suggestions. I suggested that he do a guest post and happily he obliged.

Take it away George

George writes:

I emailed CC a couple of suggestions, after playing Georgia Hard in the music room recently (Zorro and a fan heater keeping me company) that features this track:


Robbie Fulks - I Never Did Like Planes


I then spent a worthwhile 20 minutes trawling through the other Robbie Fulks albums here to see if there were any songs about trains or boats, and thought my good friend would appreciate a trio of songs by the same artiste for his series. Alas I was unable to do this. I did suggest $1000 car by The Bottle Rockets,. A particularly splendid tune which I knew he would like, and after emailing him I then realised the series was Planes and Boats and Trains. This worrying forgetfulness was also manifested on Saturday - I was having my usual abatanado and agua com gas in my usual café, reading, and after taking cup, saucer with unopened sugar packet,   glass and bottle back to the counter, I cycled home. And realised that I had not paid! (Yes, I cycled back and paid the €2). And the train song: anyway, I thought about a very very famous cover version of a song about a train, then decided that it is better than the original (sorry, Herman):




Elvis Presley - Mystery Train


And one of my go-to songs to complete the set, and like the above track, far better than the original:


Johnny Cash - Rowboat


I’m not sure if it’s obligatory to end with a cover of the song that inspired the series, but here’s one:


Laura Cantrell - Trains and Boats and Planes



CC writes:

Thanks George. Four belters there. I had not heard Laura Cantrell's version of Trains and Boats and Planes before or the Robbie Fulks number for that matter.

Nice try attempting to sneak in cars. Potentially even more controversial than buses!


Anyone else who wishes to submit a guest post is more than welcome.

6 comments:

  1. Is the anecdote in the middle George's bid to get your agreement to a a guest series on cycling? If it is, I support that proposal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any guest posts on cycling are very welcome as long as Queen don't feature.

      Delete
    2. More of a cue for forgetfulness

      Delete
  2. As George has brought in cars and maybe even bicycles, can I suggest the excellent Thrills On Wheels by Rodney Allen, the best moped song ever written. (Sorry, Jasper.)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZCHXkhvuw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should re-name this as Transport Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't a voting one is it but if it was Laura gets mine. I've heard her version before but haven't got the e.p it's from. Also on that e.p is a cover of Love Vigilantes which I've also heard. A separate question is: if I don't have the e.p how come I've heard 2 songs from it? Especially considering I'm not a streaming kind of chap so haven't heard them that way. Only muso nerds need reply but even they will have dropped off by now

    ReplyDelete