Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 December 2023

Brothers, Sisters ... 9

 



It's the one you have all been waiting for - it's the Doobie Brothers versus the Pointer Sisters.

I know this is the one that Rol has been hoping for in the absence of Bros. And no, I'm not going to play Caught by the Doobies.

Led by Michael McDonald and accurately described as soft rock the Doobies were big in the 70s - big band, big tunes and big hair. I'm shocked, and indeed appalled, that I have two songs by them on the hard drive. By featuring Long Train Runnin' here it means that I will spare subjecting you to it on Trains and Boats and Planes.

The Pointer Sisters are no strangers to these pages probably because there are two vinyl albums by them on the shelves. In the interests of fairness I will resist featuring the likes of  Fire, Jump (For My Love) and I'm So Excited. I will even go as far as featuring a county song by them.

If this was a boxing match the referee would stop it in the first round following a knockout by the Sisters.

A couple of lesser known artists next time round








5 comments:

  1. I probably have to go with the Sisters. However, if you'd included What A Fool Believes, one of the best stalker songs ever written, the Doobies would have been in with a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are being a bit harsh on the Doobies and a bit soft on the Pointers (some of their 80s stuff was utter drivel). But I'll go for the Sisters on the grounds that their best stuff is better than the Brothers best stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't vote for either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fairy Tale is from Dirty Laundry - The Soul of Black Country which I believe you've got.

      Delete
  4. This referee of yours - was he blindfolded or wearing ear defenders? Judged on these tracks it has to be the Doobies for Long Train Running though I'm not familiar with either band beyond their 'famous' hits

    ReplyDelete