Search This Blog

Thursday 22 October 2020

Days are Gone

 


2020 Charity Shop Purchases 48  HAIM  - Days Are Gone

Turns out that there was another charity shop in Alford right next door to the Dog Rehousing one which I hadn't notices before. It seemed rude not to pay it a visit. I can't remember what the charity was but the shop was very small and claustraphobic which is never pleasant  when you are waering a mask.

I felt obliged to make a purchase and duly parted with 50p for a copy of Days Are Gone the 2013 debut album by  the American sisters HAIM. I had a copy burnt from the library and thought it would be good to replace it. 

At least that's what I thought until I got round to listening to it. I've no idea what possessed me to copy it in the first place. I'm guessing it must have been the hype as it certainly wasn't the music. It reached number one in the UK selling over 200,000 copies in the process.

From the sublime of yesterday to the ridiculous.R&B pop mixed with synthesisers doesn't work for me. It's going back and the copy has been condemned to landfill. My mind will not be changed

Given the fact that HAIM appear to now be massive I'm sure they wont loss any sleep about that.

HAIM - Falling

HAIM - If I Could Change Your Mind




9 comments:

  1. You’re mentioning place names very familiar to me - I was brought up on the other side of Bennachie from Alford and my grandparents lived in Huntly. Seems you got a good haul on your holiday.

    My other half was a fan of Haim when that album came out. Not your cup of tea obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were staying in a cottage on the Whitehouse estate if that is familiar to you

      Delete
    2. Yes, but that side of Bennachie was in a different school catchment area so I am more familiar with people and places on the Inverurie/Huntly side.

      As a total aside, I have found the cleaning protocols for holiday cottages really onerous this year and it takes at least 2-3 days to carry them out. As a result I've not really re-opened. I am not convinced everyone is carrying them out - Were you happy with your place and did you feel they put all the new protocols in place?

      Delete
    3. Seemed fine to me
      Used to be you had to leave by 10 and not arrive until after 4
      That was changed to 9 and 5 presumably to give more time for cleaning
      One of the places had a checklist - tick off and the other had made reference to steam cleaning sofas

      Delete
    4. Thanks - sounds as if they were doing things properly. My daughter had a bad experience recently with a place that really hadn’t been deep cleaned at all. They didn’t feel comfortable about staying so came home!

      Delete
  2. I can't stand Haim either. I'm sure in future editions of the OED, the words 'bland', 'beige' and 'tedious' will be defined as "See Haim."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This band were, if not hyped, ertainly on the receiving end of some good publicity. I was tempted to buy the debut album without hearing anything by them. Use the CD as a bird-scarer for the garden (along with those Springsteen cds you own)! Those two songs are god-awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to encourage birds into the garden as opposed to scaring them

      Delete
  4. I tried with Haim but I couldn't get past any of the songs.

    ReplyDelete