Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 November 2023

Too Long Away

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #86 - Emily Smith - Too Long Away

Many years ago when it was still I thing I picked up a copy of Traiveller's Joy by Dumfries and Galloway folk singer/songwriter Emily Smith from the record library. It quickly became a firm favourite of both me and Mrs CC. This in turn led to us picking up more of her stuff and seeing her at Celtic Connections in 2019 as part of a duo with her Jamie McLennan. Unfortunately this proved to be disappointing as it was pretty average singer/songwriter stuff as opposed to her excellent interpretations of traditional songs.

Fortunately 2008's Too Long Away on the Spit & Polish label (run by Francis McDonald of Teenage Fanclub fame) is old enough to reflect her traditional roots and therefore goes down as a good find.

I bought it for 25p in the Re-Use Clothes charity shop in Stranraer. When we got home I couldn't find it and had Mrs CC and her mum searching their bags to no avail. I found it about a week later in my anorak pocked (it had been chucking it down that day)

Chronologically this should have appeared before Friday's Ska is the Limit. I had featured Karine Polwart earlier in the week and thought that two folk acts in the one week may have been too much for some of you although arguably you can't have too much of a good thing!

Emily Smith - As I Was a Wand'ring

Emily Smith -The Mermaid of Galloway

3 comments:

  1. Did you buy the anorak in Stranraer as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mrs CC bought it for me in a charity shop in Troon!

      Delete
  2. You did well to go a week without needing your anorak (or pocket), CC. It’s barely stopped raining in this part of the island since your last post!

    ReplyDelete