Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 November 2023

Brothers , Sisters ..... 5

 


                                                          


Only one record from each today  primarily because I have only one song by the Hewlett Sisters. As you can see from the picture above the song in question is In the Last Day and the picture is included as I couldn't find a picture of the sisters or indeed their first names or any other information about them.

Discogs advises that the single was from 1974 on the JPR label with On Gospel's Programme on the   b-side. It also features on a 2020 compilation The Last Shall Be First: The JCR Records Story, Volume 1 which is available from Bandcamp. I suspect that it probably came from George.

I have slightly more material from this weeks Brothers act Sutherland Brothers & Quiver. I have a whole albums worth as I have Reach For The Sky from 1975, on the CBS label, which I picked up in a charity shop. You should all be familiar with their best known song Arms of Mary so I don't think it would be fair to feature it today. Instead I have gone for the album's opening track When the Train Comes.

I was going to say that Arms of Mary was probably Gavin Sutherland's best earner until I remember that he also wrote Sailing which was a massive hit for Rod Stewart. Don't worry that is not going to feature!

It's the elusive Gospel sisters for me!

The Hewlett Sisters - In The Lat Day

Sutherland Brothers & Quiver - When The Train Comes


4 comments:

  1. The cool answer this week is Sisters. Because I'm resolutely uncool, I'm going Brothers. Even though it does sound like the Doobie Brothers, who I'm sure will feature here very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. By contrast to Rol I am resolutely cool so my vote goes to the Sisters. But it was a close run thing and might have gone the other way if you had opted for the Brothers' "I Was In Chains":

    https://youtu.be/HGxQsMpqHxM?si=h0yPJ5fX8UYeTx86

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the Long Train Running 'steal' I'm going for the Brothers only because I have a really soft spot for Arms Of Mary. This wasn't what was in your referendum but I decided to make it into something else! Does this remind you of something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought of a better comment

      Despite the Long Train Running 'steal' I'm going for the Brothers only because I have a really soft spot for Arms Of Mary. This wasn't what was in your referendum Lord Cameron but I decided to make it into something else! Does this remind you of something?

      Delete