Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 November 2023

Brothers, Sisters .... 4

 



An interesting contest this week as Chicago has the audacity to take on Glasgow.

The Waco Brothers are a Chicago based alternative country band  who for many years have been a stalwart of Bloodshot Records. Although based in America they have ex Mekon Jon Langford among their number so are probably best described as an American/Welsh band

They have released 14 albums since 1995 and have appeared on just about every compilation album that Bloodshot have put out.

Sister John are one of the oldest and most successful acts on the Last Night From Glasgow roster having released three albums to date - Returned From Sea, Sister John and I Am By Day. The band are led by vocalist and guitarist Amanda McKeown  who also writes the songs with Jonathan Lilley on guitars and keyboards , Heather Philips on violin and Sophie Pragnell on drums with all the band members providing backing vocals.

I've seen both bands live on a few occasions. The Wacos are terrific live and I feel that they are much better live than on record. Sister John are good both live and on record although I am not totally convinced by their last album or the last time I saw them live.

I'm calling this one a draw!

Waco Brothers -Watch Willie Fly By

Waco Brothers -Walking on Hell's Roof Looking at the Flowers

Sister John - Sweetest Moment

Sister John - Glasgow is a Rainbow

3 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw you had selected "Hell's Roof" I knew there could be only one winner for me. And so it proved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tough choice this week. Both those acts have gone on a list to investigate further (although it turns out I did have a couple of Waco Brothers tracks buried in the virtual stacks). I think the Brothers just edged it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is chalk and cheese! Even with a gun to my head I'd be hard put to choose one over the other but.......Sweetest Moment and Sister John!

    ReplyDelete