Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 November 2023

Brothers, Sisters.... 3

 



I think the general consensus last week was that the Isley Brothers swung it although I was quite taken with Ernie's suggestion of pitching the two Soul Sisters bands against each other.

Just the two acts this week as Bothwell takes on San Francisco.

In the Scottish corner we have Ken and David McCluskey who when not performing as part of the Bluebells have released three albums in their own right as The McCluskey Brothers -Aware of All in 1986, Favourite Colours in 1992 and Wonderful Affair in 1996.

I picked up Wonderful Affair in a charity shop in 2014 in Peebles I think. I felt that it was ok but nothing special. Then much more recently I picked up the Past Night From Glasgow reissue of Favourite Colours and was pretty much blown away. The two songs below are taken from there.

The Paris Sisters were a 1960s Girl Group from San Francisco best known for their work with Phil Spector. The youngest sister Priscilla was the lead singer and she was joined by middle sister Sherrell and older sister Albeth.. Sherrell is the only one still with us. Todays two tracks come from the Various Artists compilation He's a Rebel - the Girl Groups of the 60s.

A close call but I'm staying local with the Bothwell boys just  about shading it






5 comments:

  1. Did you deliberately leave out The Paris Sisters' classic original version of "I Love How You Love Me" to try to gerrymander the vote? I'm not falling for it. Go Frenchies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I thought I would be going Paris too. But those Brothers pulled a blinder. Points to the boys this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atta boy, CC. McCluskey’s also have a comp that does a nice job for those who don’t know their work outside of the Bluebells. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going for the Brothers here but oddly, given that I ruled out the cloyingness of the sisters' sound I actually want to listen to their tracks again more than the Brothers! Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete