Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 November 2022

Whiskey Tango Ghosts

 


 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #69 - Tanya Donelly - Whiskey Tango Ghosts.

Sometimes (but not often) the charity shop stars align and you find yourself in the right place at the right time.
Such was the case recently on my latest vist to BRICC in Ballantrae. On the top of the CD piles there were a few interest and unusual ones and not the usual fayre that you become accustomed to. It looked to me as if they had all been handed in by the same person and relatively recently at that given that the CDs were all still there and still in their correct boxes. Naturally I swooped.

First up is Tanya Donelly of Throwing Muses, Breeders and Belly fame with Whiskey Tango Ghosts her third solo album from 2004 on the 4AD label.Tanya has only appeared here on a couple of occasions most recently on an Uncut 4AD Compiltation which I picked up in Kilmarnock.

According to Wiki it marks a departure  from her previous pop work in favour of a country and folk-influenced sound. Clearly that is right up my street although I can't really hear the country bit.
It is probably wrong to try and shoe horn it into any particular genre although I  suspect that we are all guilty of that.

Whatever it is very pleasant and is worth a listen if you are looking for something mellow but with hidden depths.

Tanya Donelly - Whiskey Tango

Tanya Donelly - My Life as a Ghost

7 comments:

  1. Old George is a man of few words isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the tracks on this were recorded live, the audience sounds being edited out. It was followed by Live At The Windham, which is basically the rest of the set she played the same night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great find. I do like Tanya.

    I was astounded the other day to find an album by The Colo(u)rblind James Experience in a local charity shop, stacked in with the usual Robbie Williams, Daniel O'Donnell and Lighthouse Family CDs. No price tag, but I got it and a book for Sam for a total of 50p. Made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Tanya's voice, but haven't kept up with things for many years. Looking forward to giving these a listen....thanks, CC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Added this to my 'wants' list. Haven't heard any of her solo albums

    ReplyDelete