Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 November 2022

Tindersticks

 

 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #66 - Tindersticks - Tindersticks

The last charity stop off on the roadtrip home from the Highlands was Blairgowrie. There was a subsequent stop for chips at Auchterarder.

One of the purchases was Tindersticks by Tindersticks. Somewhat confusingly and indeed annoyingly the first two albums by Tindersticks  are both called called Tindersticks. The one I picked up is the second one from 1995 on the This Way Up label. Apparently it is sometimes referred to as The Second Tindersticks Album although there is no evidence of that on the cover. It joins their third album Curtains, also a charity shop purchase, on the shelves.

There is lo-fi and then there is Tindersticks. Described by Wiki as chamber pop it is something of an acquired taste. I'm not sure I've fully acquired it yet. They probably will appeal to fans of Nick Cave and Tom Waits. I know that JC is a fan.

It was recorded in Conny's studio in Cologne following a recommendation from Blixa Bargeld when they were supporting Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (see above).

The song Travelling Light is a duet between the band's singer Stuart Staples and a female singer. As soon as I heard it I thought that it sounded like Carla Torgerson from the Walkabouts ... and I was right!

The CD is far travelled. There is a sticker on the box from Polar Bear Records in Oxford. I've been to Polar Bear in Birmingham but not Oxford, Indeed I've never been to Oxford.




5 comments:

  1. 1. I have one or two Tindersticks, not played for probably 20 years
    2. I've been to Oxford but not to Auchterarder

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find. I trust it's a keeper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needs a few more listens but no plans to get rid of it

      Delete
  3. I am, indeed, a fan.....although not so much since 2006 when the original line-up disintegrated. As you say, this CD is known to many as 'Tindersticks II' and is an excellent listen. But, if you can, you should pick up the debut effort as it is an astonishingly confident piece of work, with some of their best and most enduring songs.

    ReplyDelete