Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 November 2022

The Goldwax Story

 


I've got another impressive charity haul to subject you to. But first a brief interlude.

I completed cataloguing all the A to Z records and CDs a few months ago and didn't have the energy or the inclination to plough on with the compilations.

I've done the Americana ones and a few dribs and drabs. At the end of last week I made a start on the Soul ones. I'm  conscious that I haven't featured much soul recently with the exception of the occassional charity shop CD which has trickled in.

There are some absolute belters on the shelves and none more so than many of the Kent Soul compilations from the Ace label.

One which I chose to play while cataloguing is The Goldwax Story Volume 1 from 2001.Goldwax was a Memphis label  from the mid to late 60s which given its geography concentrated on Southern Soul. Many of their artists featured on my Southern Soul Sunday series as far back as 2014. There were some legendary performances from the likes of the great James Carr, the man with the finest voice in Soul ,and Spencer Wiggins.

Both have a couple of songs on this compilation but such is the strength in depth they are not featuring today. That's how good this album is. Listen and weep.

You will not hear three better songs today

The Ovations (featuring Louis Williams) - I'm Living Good

O.V. Wright with The Keys - That's How Strong My Love Is

Ben Atkins & the Second Hand - I've Been Loving You Too Long

I  can feel a Kent Compilation series coming on!


1 comment:

  1. Loved the Ovations track, the others are good too. Will look out for this Goldwax series

    ReplyDelete