Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 November 2022

Total System Failure

 


2022 Charity Shop Purchases #72 - Juliana Hatfield - Juliana's Pony: Total System Failure

This one confused me a little. It says Juliana's Pony on the front cover but on the spine that is preceded by Juliana Hatfield.
I was familiar with the name Juliana Hatfield as I have the 1993 album Become What You Are  by The Juliana Hatfield Three so I decided to take a punt

It turns out that it is indeed a Juliana Hatfield album released on the same day (16th of May 2000 on Zoe Records) as Beautiful Creature. Juliana's Pony consisted of JH on guitar and vocals, Zaphan Courtney on drums and Mickey Welsh  on bass and backing vocals.

Now there was a time when I might have quite liked this record. Now I find it pretty juvenile and an attack on my aural senses. Maybe I'm getting old or maybe it is just mince. Both Allmusic and The Encyclopedia of Popular Music give it 2 out of 5 with Metacritic scoring it at 35 out of 100 - so maybe not just me then.

If the jewel case is to be believed it appears that the original owner forked out £12.99 for this!

It's going back

I'm now a wee bit scared of going back and listening to The Julianna Hatfield Three!



6 comments:

  1. Houseboy will be on vol. 199

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a little like they want to be Veruca Salt... but fail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're now discovering that Ms Hatfield, and I'll be diplomatic here, has had the occasional quality control issues with her body of music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big plus feature of buying 2nd hand stuff cheap is seeing the original extortionate price sticker.

    ReplyDelete