Search This Blog

Tuesday 22 February 2022

Constant Follower

 


I occassionally get promotional stuff sent to me but not as much as some other Bloggers I know.

Most of it gets deleted straight away or failing that gets a cursory read and/or listen. However I was quite taken with the recent stuff I received in respect of Scottish band Constant Follower.

Here is some of the blurb:

Self-described as soaring-ambient-dreampop-experimental-folk, Constant Follower is the band formed around Scottish songwriter Stephen McAll. As a teenager, McAll survived an attack by a gang that left him with a catastrophic head injury and every memory of his childhood gone. The next decade was spent in a cabin on Scotland’s Western coastline, where he eventually began composing again. The result is a childhood imagined against a backdrop that, like the sea, is as serene as it is wild; ever-changing, yet resolute.

Co-produced by McAll and renowned producer Kramer (Low, Galaxie 500, Will Oldham), their debut album ‘Neither Is, Nor Ever Was’, was released on the legendary Shimmy Disc imprint on October 1st 2021, and has been championed by KEXP, WFMU, BBC 6 Music and BBC Radio Scotland. "It's one of the most beautiful records I have ever been privileged to be a part of, filled to the very brim with moment after moment of poetic clarity, and not a moment too late." Kramer

“A gorgeous listen, full of bucolic melody and personal revelation, an album unafraid to speak its truth.” CLASH Magazine
“Instantly compelling, memorable and moving” Folk Radio UK
"Gorgeous atmospheric Folk" KEXP

The music is right up my street and I  think it will be of interest to fans of bands such as Admiral Fallow and Mt Doubt.

They are playing twice at SXSW in March and have a crowdfunder under way to help cover expenses. As a warm up they have gigs scheduled for 24th February in the Tollbooth, Stirling,  Glasgow's Stereo on 2nd March and Crew 2000 in Edinburgh on 3rd March.

At the Glasgow event they are co-headlining with the afore-mentioned Mt Doubt. My ticket has been purchased.

Constant Follower -I Can't Wake You

Mt Doubt - Caravans

3 comments:

  1. Spookily I'm preparing a rare new release post for myself for tomorrow. Don't think I got sent this one though, so thanks for the alert. Clearly you hang out with a hipper crowd of promo folks than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you getting promo material. Enjoy next week's gig.

    Wonder where his cabin was on the West Coast - quite a story.

    ReplyDelete