Search This Blog

Monday 6 May 2024

Duane Eddy

 


George writes:

Duane Eddy died on May 1. He was 86. And I felt sad at this news.  Which is a bit strange, I never knew him at all, except through his records of course. These deaths  of singers, pop and rock stars, I rarely give them more than a passing thought, even those whose music features heavily on my shelves. Not Mark E Smith, not Bowie. But George Michael, absolutely yes, and Duane Eddy too. 


Duane Eddy - Cannonball


There’s definitely something very appealing about that sound, it never fails to make me smile, the records are simply joyous, even as they lumber along like this:


Duane Eddy - 40 Miles of Bad Road


One of the first singles I bought (and I still have it) was the 1975 UK hit Play Me Like You Play Your Guitar. And 50 years on I still know those opening lines


Duane Eddy & the Rebelettes - Play Me Like You Play Your Guitar


(And 50 years I’m still unsure what those lyrics mean). The 12 year-old me was a Duane Eddy fan, and the 61 year old me still is. Our musical tastes change, bands and singers come and go, but I’ve been a fan of Duane Eddy’s music for nearly 50 years. And if Mr CC will indulge, here’s a fourth song, my absolute favourite of his, I love the anticipation for the moment the great man hits those deep twangy notes.


Duane Eddy - Because They're Young


That song frequently appears in the ever evolving list of Top Ten Records of All Time.


Thank you, Duane Eddy, you’re a bloody legend.


CC writes:

Many thanks George. A lovely tribute. From the heart. Good music can do that to you.


4 comments:

  1. 'Because They're Young' is my favourite too. Somewhere I have an EP with that, 'Shazam' and a couple of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, George. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't seen too much love thrown Eddy's direction after his passing, so this was a very nice sample to trip on. I dug it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post, George. I was surprised when I learned Duane had died, surprised there hadn't been more about it in the mainstream news (as Casey comments above), but you've done him proud.

    ReplyDelete