Search This Blog

Thursday 9 May 2024

Baptism of Fire

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases #24  -Eddy Shaver - Baptism of Fire

I was familiar with the name Eddy Shaver as I have three Americana albums where he features with his dad Country star Billy Joe Shaver  collectively as Shaver.

I was aware that he had died from a heroin overdose (December 2000 aged 38) and that he was an excellent guitarist. Indeed it turns out that he was tutored by Dickey Betts from the Allman Brothers Band.

Therefore I decided to take a punt on this album for a pound. From 1996 on the French Dixiefrog label it is his only solo album.

As depicts an album with an Allman Brothers influence it is somewhat guitar based and probably could be described as Heavy Metal. "Is that Heavy Metal you are playing" asked Mrs CC. Prog Rock last week, Heavy Metal this week. What on earth is going on??

I was thinking of putting it back but there are a couple of tracks which could grow on me. More importantly the median price on Discogs is £20 so it is perhaps worth holding onto it as an investment.


Eddy Shaver - Good News Blues

Eddy Shaver - Baptism of Fire

5 comments:

  1. Good to see you broadening out, even if only by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can get £20 or €20 for this then sell it. Nothing special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know about you but I think Eddy Shaver is a tremendous name. Swc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first saw the cover image really small in size on my feed I thought it said 'Body Shaver'

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first track was pretty good thought George was being a bit harsh. 2nd went on a bit. Don't think I'll be following up on Eddy so perhaps George was right in the end!

    ReplyDelete