Search This Blog

Wednesday 31 January 2024

Brothers, Sisters .... 16

 





We are on the home straight now with the finishing post in sight just along the way.

I had Sister Sledge on my original list until I realised that they had already appeared on the first post in this series where the trounced the Allman Brothers. Therefore Shakespears Sister were summoned off the subs bench thus making it a closer contest that it otherwise would have been.

Shakespears Sister were Siobhan Fahey (of Bananarama fame) and Marcella Detroit who I thought had been a presenter on The Tube but apparently not. They appeared together between 1989 and 1993 prior to falling out. It seems that the fall out was not sufficiently bad to stop the obligatory reunions on the Retro scene. They released 4 albums and also somewhat impressively four compilation albums.

Today they are up against the folk rock/Americana act the Avett Brothers a band which includes the brothers Seth and Scott Avett.

Both acts have appeared here once before the Avetts in February 2022  as a Charity Shop purchase and the Shakespears in August 2023 as part of the short lived Same Title, Different Song series.

The Brothers probably have the edge given that I actually have one of their albums namely True Sadness and also because their style of music is much  more up my street.


Shakespears Sister - Stay

Shakespears Sister - Catwoman

Avett Brothers -Satan Pulls the Strings

Avett Brothers -Divorce Separation Blue




5 comments:

  1. The Brothers take it for me again today, though I do have a soft spot for SS, particularly their debut single, You're History.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would root for Siobhan in most instances but have to go with the bros today. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to be the sisters for me although Siobhan Fahey always looked dead scary and a bit manic during their four-year run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the Avett Brothers songs but it's Shakespears Sister for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay is one of the great gothic pop songs but I'm siding with the Avetts not just for their clever lyrics on Divorce Separation Blues but for a couple of their other songs that have multiple plays on my iTunes library

    ReplyDelete