Search This Blog

Monday 29 January 2024

Quietly Now!

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases # 7 - Frightened Rabbit -Quietly Now!

I've finally got round to listening to Quietly Now! the third and final Frightened Rabbit album picked up in a Bridge of Allan charity shop earlier this month.

Released on 21st October 2008 in the US and on 30th March 2009 in the UK and the rest of Europe it is a live album of a primarily acoustic performance of The Midnight Organ Fight recorded live at the Captain's Rest on Glasgow's Great Western Road on 30th July 2008. I was fairly oblivious to the band then but I imagine that the likes of JC and Drew could well have been in the audience. Someone who was definitely there was James Graham from The Twilight Sad who joined the band for Keep Yourself Warm.

Regarding the album Scott Hutchison  stated that he "[doesn't] care if people buy it or don't buy it, download it or steal a track from their friends. It's for the fans, the people who were there and for me as a souvenir of the show

It is one that probably is primarily of interest to true Frabbit fans. I'm not sure I fit into that category but I found it an interesting listen and fairly faithful to the original album.

Given that it was performed in a dingy basement it is a pretty good recording. I never saw any bands play in the Captain's Rest I have seen a good few when it was resurrected as the Hug and Pint.

May contain sweary words.

Frightened Rabbit - The Modern Leper

Frightened Rabbit -Keep Yourself Warm

3 comments:

  1. You were 50% right with the audience guess. Drew was there that evening - sadly, I was unable to get a ticket on this occasion, although I did see the band play in that tiny venue on a couple of other occasions.

    Just to mention that it wasn't resurrected as the Hug and Pint, although it is very close to where Captain's Rest used to be. H&P is at 171 Great Western Road....the Rest was at 185.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops my bad
      What did the Hug and Pint used to be?

      Delete
  2. Well seen I'm a Southside as opposed to a Westender!

    ReplyDelete