Search This Blog

Monday 8 January 2024

Winter Mixed Drinks

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases #1  - Frightened Rabbit - Winter Mixed Drinks

Following a bit of a barren patch as far as Charity Shop purchases are concerned we are now back in the saddle with the first purchases of 2024.

The main reason for the drought has been the paucity of decent CDs available. I think that streaming is partly responsible as less folk are buying CDs and those who still do tend to holding on to them. A recent foray to the charity shops of Bridge of Allan, Dunblane and Callander was pretty disappointing with one notable exception.

Fortunately  struck lucky in Chest Heart and Stroke in Bridge of Allan where I came away with three Frightened Rabbit albums for three pounds. I left The Midnight Organ Fight on the shelves as I already had it. There was a similar amount of Biffy Clyro albums but I wasn't tempted!

Rather than feature them all at once I think I will drip feed them gradually with hopefully some other in between. Today I am featuring Winter Mixed Dreams their third album from 2010 on FatCat Records. You may recall that I featured Karine Polwart's version of Swim Until You Can't See Land on the Saturday Shuffle a few days ago. Today it is the turn of the sadly prophetic original.



10 comments:

  1. A good find and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find. I find charity shops to be a lot more hit and miss than they used to be, but you can still hit a seam of gold every now and then. You just have to keep digging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been having a bit of a new year clear out but when we took my late father-in-laws classical music CDs to the charity shop they immediately stopped us in our tracks and said they no longer take CDS. Same for many other shops I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of our local charity shops put up a sign saying "We No Longer Accept CDs". It was the last time I went in there.

      Delete
  4. When I see some of the dress I can almost understand why
    Looking for a sign that says "We only accept good CDs"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nearly gave up after many visits to charity shops late 2023 and coming away with nothing. Got lucky twice earlier in the week so the quest continues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's 99% dross in the charity shops I frequent I'm afraid. I do my best by releasing my own unwanted (but high quality 'alternative' non mainstream music) CDs into the wild so hopefully someone will go home happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swiss Adam recently mused about the dilemma of disposing of CDs that came free with magazines, referring to landfill/environmental issues. Can't really blame charity shops for refusing to accept any more CDs given a lot of folk will just be wanting to dump such things on them instead of facing up to the waste management side of things.

    Congrats on picking up the FR set of CDs. An absolute bargain! I'm wondering if was someone who, having maybe picked up re-releases on vinyl, chose to get rid of the CDs?

    ReplyDelete