Search This Blog

Monday 22 January 2024

Across a Crowded Room


2024 Charity Shop Purchases #5 - Richard Thompson - Across a Crowded Room

I haven't got around to listening to the 3rd Frightened Rabbit CD yet so another vinyl Charity Shop album has jumped the queue.

I was a bit late to the party when it came to Richard Thompson solo albums . I had a couple of Richard and Linda ones before I got round to his solo stuff. I've picked up two or three over the last year or so but Across a Crowded Room is the first I have on vinyl.

From 1985 on the Polydor label it is his 4th solo album and was his final collaboration with producer Joe Boyd. The Encyclopedia of Popular Music gave it a score of 3/5 with Rolling Stone giving it 4/5. I'll go with the former as I feel his solo stuff got better from the 90s onwards.

Fortunately both the sleeve and the record are in pretty good nick and have been well looked after by the original owner who has written his name on the inner sleeve.

The tracks are the first I have recorded via my upgraded MP3 turntable.

Richard Thompson - Fire in the Engine Room

Richard Thompson - Little Blue Number

 

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful album. 'When the Spell is Broken' hits me in the feels every time.

    JM

    ReplyDelete