Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 January 2024

Brothers ,Sisters .... 13

 


    


The 13th post in this series - it will be unlucky for some but will it be the sisters or the brothers?

Let's start with the ladies this week. Kehinda Lijadu and Taiwo Lijadu  were identical twin sisters from Nigeria who performed as the Lijadu Sisters from the mid 60's to the 80's. I suspect the fact that they appear in my music folder is down to Ernie.
Sadly Kehinda died in November 2019 aged 71 leading to this article in The Guardian  describing them as the twins who fought the elite with funk.

The Statler Brothers (minus Waldorf) were a Country and Gospel vocal group who sang as the opening act and back up singers to Johnny Cash from 1964 to 1972. No member of the group actually had the surname Statler although the band did include two brothers in Don and Harold Reed. They started out in 1955 and disbanded following a farewell tour in 2002.

It's a pretty tough call this week but I can't see past anyone who is prepared to fight the elite with funk. If only we had some folk like that here.







5 comments:

  1. I don't think I can take the credit on this occasion. I have a few of the Sisters' songs but according my own music folder 'Amebo' isn't among them.

    Will go for the Sisters but I do like 'Honky Tonk Stardust Cowboy'. I have the original by Jonathan Edwards somewhere. How he found time to pursue a music career alongside all that triple-jumping I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I owe the Statlers an apology. I was inspired to dig out my copy of the Jonathan Edwards album with the same title, turns out he was covering the Statlers not the other way round asI has assumed.

      Still voting for the Sisters though.

      Delete
  2. There's something about the Statler Brothers' singing that is immensely irritating so it has to the Lijadu Sisters. Lefty Frizzell does a version of Honky Tonk Stardust Cowboy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll vote for the Brothers just to be contrary. (I loved their vocals, particularly on Mary Lou.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going with the sisters this week as apart from anything else it was the intro to Come On Home which won it for me. Must say I'm confused over whether that track is by the Statlers (who aren't really Statlers) or Jonathan Edwards (who may or may not be the triple jumper) but as I'm listening to this on a Sunday it's clearly not him!

    ReplyDelete