Search This Blog

Thursday 25 January 2024

Songs By Bands I Don't Like - A Guest Series

 


He's Back!

George writes:

A song was played at the final scene of a programme my partner and I were watching recently, and I realised that despite the band, it was a damned fine tune. A band, and especially a singer, much denigrated and mocked on these pages, and other blogs, and not just by me. And there’s other, many, many other bands that I profess to dislike but find that there’s usually a decent song they have done. So I suggested to Mr CC that I write about them. But this is not to rant on hysterically about their awfulness but to proclaim to the world that they are not universally bad (except Gentle Giant), but rather to appreciate one song of theirs. And some times it is only one song in a vast catalogue. Here goes

1.Willie Nelson

I have zero albums by Willie Nelson. None. But I suspect there are dozens of versions of songs he has written on the shelves. He can write some great tunes, but man alive his delivery is not to my liking. Maybe it’s his voice, or his timing, I don’t know. He wrote one of my Top Go-To songs when it is performed by Faron Young, and to be fair to Mr Nelson, his version is good (but not in the same league as that of Mr Young):



It’s a great song, and I could easily listen to Mr Nelson crooning it.


2. Ray Charles


Actually, I have ten Ray Charles songs on a History of Rock album (volume 8, with Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett), but acquired as I collected that series (up to vol. 25) so I have Ray Charles songs by default. This song is classic rhythm and blues, with pounding piano, great vocal, wild saxophone, what is not to like? 



Well, apart from that belter, I find there’s not much to like. 


I think the above two artistes occupy several places on the music shelves of Mr CC.


CC writes:

Thanks George

I'm sure this series will spark some debate.

I'm not a huge fan of either but have a few CDs by them both.

Mrs CC likes Willie Nelson.

I like this one


Willie Nelson - Funny How Time Slips Away


and even better:


Green On Red- (Gee Ain't it Funny) How Time Slips Away



7 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think he tries too hard to be contrary.

    Hopefully he'll hate this: https://youtu.be/x8A9Y1Dq_cQ?si=DT3GFZf0xX_N77Gq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that here he is making a genuine attempt to be slightly less contrary.

      Delete
    2. Ernie is wrong, although maybe in my younger days I might have been.

      Delete
  2. Good idea for a series. I like the idea of George trying not to be contrary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been listening to a lot of Willie Nelson lately. A lot. Always had time for Ray Charles. I reckon I should just send George a picture of my record collection and let him rip it apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs JC loves Blink-182. I think they're dreadful. But 'I Miss You' is a great wee song.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray's a little before (and beyond) my time but I Can't Stop Lovin You is a classic as is Hit The Road Jack which I do remember from the 60s. Georgia On My Mind too is a classic. Willie Nelson though has escaped me beyond the track you played. I'm sure he had other 'hits' though

    ReplyDelete