Search This Blog

Saturday 13 January 2024

Saturday Shuffle 37

 


I briefly made it back to the gym during the week before my cold resurfaced. None of the three songs below popped up during my visit.

Biggie Tembo was the lead singer of the Bhundu Boys when they shot to fame (of sorts) with the brilliant Shabhini album in 1984 and which was championed by John Peel and Andy Kershaw. Sadly he completed suicide in 1995. This obituary in the Independent  gives more details of his life and times. Out of Africa is taken from a Cooking Vinyl 2000 compilation called Rhythms of Africa which I have just stuck on.

The Mekons version of Folsom Prison Blues is taken from  'Til Things Are Brighter - A Tribute to Johnny Cash on Red Rhino in 1988 here
Curated by Jon Langford who also painted the cover above it raised money for the Terrence Higgins Trust

Lastly, but certainly not leastly, I give you the brilliant Thirteen by Big Star. It is highly unlikely that you will hear a better song today.



5 comments:

  1. 'Completed' suicide?

    Excellent selection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is now easy way of saying it but it a preferred term than commited

      Delete
    2. When I worked in Mental Health that was the term that was most commonly used.
      I just consulted Mr Google who confirmed the problems and issues around the terminology for such a sensitive subject.

      Delete
  2. Gotta hope the Big Star song was written from the point of view of a 13 yr old boy (or girl). Hadn't heard of that early Bhundu Boys album - first I knew of them was True Jit - also championed by Peel/Kershaw. I'm now about to play Ndoitasei by them which will be the best song I'll hear all week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blinking colds! I thought mine was getting better but I'm rough again this weekend. Hope you get back to normal soon. Nice eclectic selection today.

    ReplyDelete