Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 January 2024

First Two Pages of Frankenstein

 


I am quite guilty of often downloading albums and then giving them a cursory listen or forgetting about them altogether.

The National were busy boys in 2023 releasing two albums namely First Two Pages of Frankenstein (April 28th) and Laugh Track (18th November). I downloaded both recently and have only  just got round to giving them a listen.
Frankenstein (as I shall lazily call it) was the one much made the greatest initial impression. Of course this may well change after a few listens to both.

They have roped in Sufjan Stevens, Phoebe Bridgers and Taylor Swift (who appears on the 2nd track below) as guests which should help to increase sales. Hardly surprising then that it has achieved a score  of 79/100 on Metacritic based on 21 reviews,

They are a band that I came to late but one I like a little bit more every time I hear them.

I shall feedback on a few more in the coming weeks



3 comments:

  1. I still haven't managed to warm to them, but do appreciate the leg up they have given to This Is The Kit in recent years

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree CC. They are the type of band that when it was £35 to see them somewhere in your city I was prepared to pay £25 so didn't bother. Now i would pay £40 but it costs about £65 and for me they aren't THAT good - one that i think i will regret not seeing in the future but so be it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very late to this one....it's taken me a stupidly long time to get to other folk's blogs in 2024. Apologies.....

    Music snob alert with this one!

    I kind of cringe at myself with The National having picked up on them with the release of their third album, Alligator, in 2005. For the next few years, they could do no wrong....and even when I wasn't falling for the albums, the live shows were always worth going to.

    All changed when I went down to see them in Manchester in 2022. Massive crowd there for a sing-a-long. They don't make stadium rock music, but that's the audience nowadays. Bought both of the 2023 albums on vinyl....was left cold for the most part.

    But you'll sure have fun exploring a lot of the back catalogue!

    ReplyDelete